The Big Meat Ant in Augathella
History of the Big Meat Ant
The giant ant was constructed to attract tourists to the almost forgotten town. Its inspiration originated from a local football club famous in the 1960s for its aggressiveness in the field, just like meat ants.
As expected, the team’s maroon jerseys and blue shorts matched the colours of a meat ant.
The local football team brought so much attention to the town in its glory days. As a result, the Big Meat Ant was constructed hoping to achieve the same attention towards the town.
The Construction Of The Big Meat Ant in Augathella
Artist Amanda Feher used brass, copper and steel to create the enormous sculpture. The final sculpture, which is one million times bigger than a real meat ant, measures 7.5 metres in length, while a real meat ant measures about 9 millimetres long on average.
Other Big Things of Australia Depicting Ants
Other enormous ant sculptures in the list of Big Things of Australia include:
- The Big Ant in Poochera South Australia. It represents the dinosaur ant species commonly found in the region.
- The Big Ant in Broken Hill, New South Wales. It’s a symbol of the hardwork and commitment of Broken Hill miners.
Several other insect-themed Big Things of Australia include:
- The Big Mosquito in Hexham, New South Wales.
- The Big Bagong Moths in Acton, Australian Capital Territory.
- The Big Spider in Urana, New South Wales.
The Big Funnel Web Spider in Jamberoo, New South Wales.